Oral Cancer Detection
Oral Cancer screening and Detection
Oral cancer is the most common cause of cancer death in Asia. It ranks number one in terms of all cancer incidence among men and third among women.
In India, because of cultural, ethnic, geographic factors and the popularity of addictive habits, the frequency of oral cancer is high. Several factors like tobacco and tobacco related products, alcohol, genetic predisposition and hormonal factors are suspected as possible causative factors
The Importance of Early Detection
The oral cancer 5 year survival rate is very low (20-50%). This is primarily due to late detection and hence late presentation of the case.
Therefore It becomes even more important to find oral cancer early when it can be treated more successfully.
Early detection of oral cancer is often possible. Tissue changes in the mouth that might signal the beginnings of cancer often can be seen and felt easily.
Warning Signs and symptoms
An annual screening for oral cancer is important, however in between even the smallest change in the mouth should be a cause of concern and should be reported to the dentist immediately. This includes:
- A white or red patch on the gums, tongue, tonsil, or lining of the mouth.
- A sore or lesion in the mouth that does not heal within two weeks.
- A lump or thickening in the cheek
- Difficulty moving the jaw or tongue
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing
- Swelling of the jaw that causes dentures to fit poorly or become uncomfortable
- Hoarseness, numbness of the tongue or other areas of the mouth.
- After years of hiding my smile behind my hand, I can now smile with confidence!! Thank you Dr. Garg for giving me a bright new smile. I love my porcelain veneers- they look and feel so natural. Thanks so much.
- Today I am extra cautious about brushing and flossing daily because I am proud of my teeth and I want them to stay looking good. It's also the best way I can think of to show my respect for Dr. Garg's work.
- Perfection is Dr. Garg's goal and he achieves it. I admire, respect and appreciate that. My experience at Dr. Garg's Dental centre has been excellent. They are the best dentist I have ever come across.
- My smile is a testimonial of Dr. Garg's artistry, workmanship and commitment to excellence.
- Dr. Garg provided us with outstanding and professional dental care. Be it routine or advanced dentistry, His attention to detail is exemplary. I appreciate Dr. Garg and his friendly knowledgeable staff, and thank him for my new smile
- After years of being dissatisfied with my smile, I did a little research and chose Dr. Garg to help me. I am so pleased with the results that I would recommend him to any body.
- My experience with Dr. Garg was amazing. I was extremely nervous but Dr.Garg and his staff made me comfortable. I wouldn't trust my smile to any other dentist.
- I am very pleased with how natural my teeth look and I smile with confidence. It really feels great with the compliments I receive.
- What a difference you have made in my life? That's how I can summarize Dr. Garg's contribution. I really thank you from the bottom of my heart and wish you the best of luck.
- I am extremely happy with my experience with Dr. Garg. They really go the extra mile to provide a comfortable and pleasant experience. Dr. Garg uses the latest technology and is uncompromising in his desire to get the best results. I highly recommend them.
- Today I have nine teeth in my mouth that are naturally replaced by implants. I feel more attractive, improving my speech, greater comfort and greater ability to chew food naturally.
- Going to the dentist had always been scary for me. Thanks to Dr. Garg and his team _ I now look forward to my dental appointments. I would recommend them to everybody I know. Keep up the good work!!
- Dr. Garg is kind, caring and compassionate. He is very gentle and explains everything that he is doing. This makes you feel like he cares about you and wants you to feel comfortable. He is is the best dentist I've ever had.
Smile Gallery »