Temporo Mandibular Joint (TMJ) Treatment
TMJ (Temporo-mandibular joint) disorders are diseases of the joint that connect lower jaw to the skull. These TMJ problems can result from injury, aging, and poor dental behavior like frequent gum chewing, teeth grinding, and teeth clenching. Although the presence of one of these symptoms does not necessarily indicate the presence of a TMJ disorder, common symptoms of TMJ disorders include:
- Clicking sound in the joint during jaw movement
- Limited movement of the jaw
- Earaches and headaches
- Pain in the joint during hard chewing
- Hearing problems
- Pain in the face, jaw, neck, or shoulders
- Loose teeth
- Worn, chipped, or cracked teeth or fillings
- Clenching or grinding
- Facial pain
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Pain and sensitivity in teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Receding gums
- Ringing or congestion in the ears
From a medical perspective, TMJ problems are classified into three main groups of disorders: muscle disorders, joint derangement disorders, and degenerative joint disorders.
- Muscle disorders describes TMJ problems located in the muscles that control the TMJ. These disorders are often called myofacial disorders and are the most common of the TMJ disorders.
- Joint derangement disorders are a group of TMJ problems that is caused by either: a dislocated jaw, a displaced disk, or an injured bone.
- Degenerative joint disorders are a group of TMJ problems that is caused by degenerative changes in the joint like arthritis that destroy the cartilage that cover the TMJ and absorbs the shocks caused by such actions as chewing. Degenerative joint disorders stem from the wear and tear of the TMJ joints.
If you are suffering from any of these symptoms and are also experienced prolonged pain, it is highly recommended that you consult a doctor. Once, your doctor has confirmed the presence of a TMJ disorder, the next step is treatment. Depending on the type of disorder that you are suffering from and the extent of it, you will undergo specific treatment.
NTI-tss stand for "Nociceptive Trigeminal Inhibition Tension Suppression System". According to the manufacturer, the NTI-tss device is indicated for the prevention and treatment of bruxism, temporomandibular disorders (TMDs), occlusal trauma, tension-type headaches and/or migraine.
The NTI-tss device is a small pre-fabricated anterior bite stop which covers – in its most widely used form – the two upper (or lower) central incisors. The fit along the teeth is accomplished at the chair side by filling it with a resin and subsequently adapting along the central incisors, thereby increasing the vertical dimension between the upper and lower jaw.. This "miniature anterior bite appliance" is typically worn during the night, although two variations of the bite stop are offered for daytime use.
The NTI-tss protects teeth, muscles and joints by suppresing parafunctional muscle contraction by almost 70%. Originally developed to prevent migraine pain, the NTI-tss Plus is proven to be a superior alternative to full coverage bite guards.
The NTI-tss also gives dentists a way to simply and effectively treat patients suffering from tension and migraine headaches by reducing the intensity of jaw clenching while the patient sleeps.
The NTI-tss protocol is approved for the Prevention of Medically Diagnosed Migraine Pain and Jaw Disorders through the reduction of trigeminally innervated muscular activity.
Full-coverage bite guards increase clenching activity for some patients by providing an ideal clenching surface for canines and molars. The NTI-tss discludes all posteriors and reduces clenching intensity by nearly 70%.
More Comfortable, Better Compliance
The NTI-tss is smaller, less bulky and won't trigger a gag reflex. Because it is more comfortable, patients actually wear it.
Less Chairtime, Easier to Seat
Because the NTI-tss covers only the front teeth it's easier to seat, saving you valuable chairtime.
Durable Precise Fit
NTI-tss is made from Clear 450™ thermoplastic material. The high heat, high pressure injection process guarantees a perfect fit with proven durability. NTI-tss is clinically unbreakable, provides a perfect fit with no shrinkage and won't absorb stains or odors.
Upper or Lower?
Although some doctors still prefer the maxillary NTI-tss , more experienced users continue to find additional indications for a lower appliance. Factors that influence arch choice may include clinical crown length and tooth contour (retention), tooth rotations and malposition, uneven incisal edges, and narrow arch width.
- After years of hiding my smile behind my hand, I can now smile with confidence!! Thank you Dr. Garg for giving me a bright new smile. I love my porcelain veneers- they look and feel so natural. Thanks so much.
- Today I am extra cautious about brushing and flossing daily because I am proud of my teeth and I want them to stay looking good. It's also the best way I can think of to show my respect for Dr. Garg's work.
- Perfection is Dr. Garg's goal and he achieves it. I admire, respect and appreciate that. My experience at Dr. Garg's Dental centre has been excellent. They are the best dentist I have ever come across.
- My smile is a testimonial of Dr. Garg's artistry, workmanship and commitment to excellence.
- Dr. Garg provided us with outstanding and professional dental care. Be it routine or advanced dentistry, His attention to detail is exemplary. I appreciate Dr. Garg and his friendly knowledgeable staff, and thank him for my new smile
- After years of being dissatisfied with my smile, I did a little research and chose Dr. Garg to help me. I am so pleased with the results that I would recommend him to any body.
- My experience with Dr. Garg was amazing. I was extremely nervous but Dr.Garg and his staff made me comfortable. I wouldn't trust my smile to any other dentist.
- I am very pleased with how natural my teeth look and I smile with confidence. It really feels great with the compliments I receive.
- What a difference you have made in my life? That's how I can summarize Dr. Garg's contribution. I really thank you from the bottom of my heart and wish you the best of luck.
- I am extremely happy with my experience with Dr. Garg. They really go the extra mile to provide a comfortable and pleasant experience. Dr. Garg uses the latest technology and is uncompromising in his desire to get the best results. I highly recommend them.
- Today I have nine teeth in my mouth that are naturally replaced by implants. I feel more attractive, improving my speech, greater comfort and greater ability to chew food naturally.
- Going to the dentist had always been scary for me. Thanks to Dr. Garg and his team _ I now look forward to my dental appointments. I would recommend them to everybody I know. Keep up the good work!!
- Dr. Garg is kind, caring and compassionate. He is very gentle and explains everything that he is doing. This makes you feel like he cares about you and wants you to feel comfortable. He is is the best dentist I've ever had.
Smile Gallery »